I had the privilege to teach yoga to the freshman class at Oak Ridge High School the last two Mondays. Through this experience I was reminded of the importance of five specific fundamental principles that I value: INTEGRITY, CONSISTENCY, SERVICE, PRESENCE and TRUST. When we are able to embody these principles we give ourselves the opportunity to make a bigger impact within a community that we are already apart of AND in developing NEW community.
- INTEGRITY is the foundation of life. The standard at which we hold ourselves accountable to our values and beliefs creates the level of integrity that we live from every day. When living from a place of integrity, we are confident in ourselves and in our choices because they are aligned with our beliefs. One of our core values at Spotted Dog Yoga is integrity and we believe that the type of yoga we teach and practice allows people to create personal accountability to recognize when integrity is missing AND gives them the tools to bring themselves back into alignment…to be true to themselves. Teaching yoga to high school students is not easy but I have no doubts around the quality of the experience that was delivered to them. I was able to be myself because I hold myself accountable to “doing the work” and I was confident in the yoga practice because I know that it works!
- CONSISTENCY is one of my favorite words, because I have learned that it is the only way to create discipline, focus and effectiveness in doing ANYTHING. When we are consistent in embodying what we stand for, people will follow our lead! I taught Baptiste Power Yoga to the Oak Ridge High School students. I teach Baptiste Power Yoga at Spotted Dog Yoga. This practice is what I believe in and what I know works. As a teacher, I believe that what I teach is just as important as how I teach and I would never compromise what I stand for no matter who I am in front of.
- SERVICE makes a difference. When put in front of a group of people, we can never know who is in front of us or what type of impact we are having on them. When we offer up our knowledge in the spirit of service, we share tools and skills with people that may not have had access to them otherwise. When we remove expectations or attachment to financial or personal benefits, our true passion for what we love to do flows out of us! I was honored to donate my time to Oak Ridge High School in order to share my passion for teaching yoga and connecting community.
- PRESENCE is a super power. When we are able to come out of our head and into the moment at hand, we give ourselves the ability to find untapped potential. When we are stuck in thought, we can get stuck in our default patterns of being. When we are in the moment, we are working from RIGHT NOW and connections just happen. I can easily worry about “what could go wrong” when anticipating working with a group or in a space that I am unfamiliar with. Through the practice of Baptiste Yoga I have learned that all I have to do is let go of sticking to a plan and be present with the people that are with me right now.
- TRUST the process. Incorporate integrity, consistency, service and presence into your awareness and do the work to keep them present. Beyond that, trust that what you are delivering, sharing, saying is authentic to YOU and that it matters. If something doesn’t work out the way you planned, trust that everything happens for a reason!
Thank you Oak Ridge High School for having me! I also want to thank Chantell Trumbull for volunteering to be my assistant…it made such a huge difference to have your support and share this with you!