Hold Yourself Accountable
- Reserve your spot (classes DO fill up)
- Book classes early & follow through
- Receive inspiring & informative push notifications
- Hit your goals
- Track your progress
When I think of summer I think of sleeping in, freedom and Alice Cooper’s hot weather anthem, “School’s Out for Summer.” This season of sunshine and flip flops can be a tough one when it comes to keeping good habits going, including yoga. Because let’s face it – when it’s cold outside, it’s easy to get to a hot yoga class. But on a lazy hot summer day? Well, it can be a challenge.
However summer is one of the best times to stay consistent with your yoga practice. Here are four reasons why:
So how can we get consistent with our practice during the summer? (So glad you asked!) Here are three ways to ensure you don’t put your yoga practice on hold.
Looking forward to seeing you on the mat,
Most of you already know this, but just in case you didn’t, Katie and I named Spotted Dog Yoga after our rescue dog Bandit. We rescued Bandit and life has never been the same!!
Tomorrow morning is the start of Spotted Dog Yoga’s SEVA DOG (SAVE-A-DOG) classes. The word “seva” refers to selfless service. SEVA DOG classes are $5 with proceeds going to the SPCA.
Here are 3 reasons why you should check out SEVA DOG classes at Spotted Dog Yoga!
1) Make A Difference. Spotted Dog Yoga has partnered with The Sacramento SPCA (The Sacramento Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Animals). The Sacramento SPCA is an independent, local non-profit organization. All proceeds from SEVA DOG classes will go to the SPCA under a specific program called “Paws For Health!” Want to learn more about the SPCA? Click here to learn more!
2) Experience Spotted Dog Yoga’s Newest Leaders. SEVA DOG classes will be taught by recent graduates of “Light Up!” teacher training (next program starts September 24th, 2015). By attending these classes, not only are you supporting a great cause, but you are supporting amazing local leaders.
3) Practice with PURPOSE and INTENTION! Get excited about yoga and community! Anything is possible when a group of people come together with the intention of making a difference. Spotted Dog Yoga’s SEVA DOG classes are set up so that YOU can hone your skill of practicing with intention.
Get excited about coming to Spotted Dog Yoga, because YOU are making a big difference in this community and on a global scale.
Check out Isaac Brown (a recent graduate of “Light Up” teacher training) and SEVA DOG every Saturday (except the 3rd Saturday of the month) at 11:00AM.
Nick, Katie and Bandit
As we introduce assistants into our Power Yoga Basics and Power Yoga All classes, you may wonder, “how do they know just what to do to get me deeper into this pose?” or on a more basic level, “why are they touching me?”
The assisting program, as with all things Spotted Dog, is carefully crafted to enhance your yoga practice. Assistants complete our 20-hour training and then do practice assisting until they and we are confident in their assisting skills. Only then are they ready to come into a class and assist you.
Assistants are taught to observe the student, listen to the instructor, and then give tools to the student for a more powerful yoga experience. Different assists will be used on each and every student. Let’s say you’re wobbly in dancer pose. (I am wobbly in each and every balancing pose, so this is an easy example to illustrate!) An assistant might stand in front of you and place their palm out for you to stabilize your hand on. With this assist to strengthen the foundation of the pose, you will feel the deep opening in your shoulders and hips that dancer can provide.
If you’re someone with an injury or have an area that is best left untouched, you can just shake your head no and our assistants will respectfully honor your request. We encourage you to stay open to being assisted as it can help you take your practice to a whole new level.
If you’re a SDY regular, you won’t want to miss our Connect: Assistant Program, June 12 – 14. Your yoga practice will be transformed as you gain alignment knowledge and experience a deeper understanding of your own body. This program will give you tools to refine the mastery of direct, powerful, and informative assists.
On a personal note, I completed Connect: Assistant Program with Spotted Dog in November and it was the best assisting program I’ve done. (I’ve taken 3 assisting programs with different studios. What can I say? I love to learn!) Leslie
It sure has been great having the ability to teach yoga and connect our community over the last few months at El Dorado Hills Taekwondo. We are excited to announce that our studio in Folsom is getting ready to open! Make sure that you purchase your pre-opening membership specials by December 20th as this will be the last day that they are offered.