Oh, hello Spring. It’s so good to see you again. We have been waiting for you.
The equinox comes twice a year and it symbolizes transition and balance. Uniting.
As we are waking up from our winter slumber, it is time to let go of all the darkness and clutter and clean! We release what feels heavy and clear away all these mental, physical and emotional debris.
Control, anxiety, worthlessness, hurt, boredom, pain, exhaustion.
Just to name a few.
This challenges us to refocus our day to day efforts and reconnect to what matters most to us: goals, dreams, relationships, health and experiences.
How is your health? Are you happy?
How are your relationships? Do you feel connected?
How is your work? Does it feel empowering?
What can you do to be the best you?
Badass new years goals, its time to shine!
Maybe they are goals to enrich your knowledge, how to be a better partner, parent, friend, to take care of yourself, or to express yourself and open up.
And like many people maybe you have lost that connection to those badass goals, or maybe you forgot what they even were!
So when you think of spring and the Spring Equinox, think of your wellbeing, those goals you set months ago and come back to the person that you want to be. Meditate.
Plant the seeds of your hopes and dreams, cleanse the soil to make space and visualize your life in its highest potential-just like the world, when it blossoms into its fullest potential during Spring.
Play Hard • Love Big
Baron Baptiste is one of the World’s most beloved Master Yoga Teachers and created the style of yoga that we practice at Spotted Dog Yoga! His teachings inspire us to transform more than body and mind in 40 DAYS TO PERSONAL REVOLUTION…he give us the tools we need to set yourselves free and live the healthful live we’ve always imagined. Through the program you will create a whole new way of being and living!
The impact of our yoga practice can be far greater than just an amazing workout. The same things that we work through on our yoga mats are present in our daily life, we just don’t always make the connection. Consider 40 DAYS TO PERSONAL REVOLUTION your chance to delve into the true power of this yoga practice and create the life you’ve always imagined!
Co-Founders of Spotted Dog Yoga, Nick and Katie Clark, will be leading 40 DAYS TO PERSONAL REVOLUTION. Nick and Katie have been training with Baron Baptiste since 2010. Training with Baron has not only helped them develop their skills as yoga teachers, but has made a significant impact in all areas of their life together. Nick is currently working on his Tier 3 Baptiste certification and serves as a member of the Baptiste Institute certification board, helping to certify teachers all over the world. Katie is currently enrolled in the Baptiste Institutes “Fit To Lead” program is in the process of completing her Tier 2 Baptiste certification.
- DEEP FLOW WORKSHOP-SUNDAY 9/7/17 AT 10:45AM
- IGNITE! BACKBENDS WORKSHOP-SATURDAY 9/23/17 AT 10:45AM
- UPSIDE DOWN! INVERSION WORKSHOP-SATURDAY 10/7/17 AT 10:45AM
I had the privilege to teach yoga to the freshman class at Oak Ridge High School the last two Mondays. Through this experience I was reminded of the importance of five specific fundamental principles that I value: INTEGRITY, CONSISTENCY, SERVICE, PRESENCE and TRUST. When we are able to embody these principles we give ourselves the opportunity to make a bigger impact within a community that we are already apart of AND in developing NEW community.
- INTEGRITY is the foundation of life. The standard at which we hold ourselves accountable to our values and beliefs creates the level of integrity that we live from every day. When living from a place of integrity, we are confident in ourselves and in our choices because they are aligned with our beliefs. One of our core values at Spotted Dog Yoga is integrity and we believe that the type of yoga we teach and practice allows people to create personal accountability to recognize when integrity is missing AND gives them the tools to bring themselves back into alignment…to be true to themselves. Teaching yoga to high school students is not easy but I have no doubts around the quality of the experience that was delivered to them. I was able to be myself because I hold myself accountable to “doing the work” and I was confident in the yoga practice because I know that it works!
- CONSISTENCY is one of my favorite words, because I have learned that it is the only way to create discipline, focus and effectiveness in doing ANYTHING. When we are consistent in embodying what we stand for, people will follow our lead! I taught Baptiste Power Yoga to the Oak Ridge High School students. I teach Baptiste Power Yoga at Spotted Dog Yoga. This practice is what I believe in and what I know works. As a teacher, I believe that what I teach is just as important as how I teach and I would never compromise what I stand for no matter who I am in front of.
- SERVICE makes a difference. When put in front of a group of people, we can never know who is in front of us or what type of impact we are having on them. When we offer up our knowledge in the spirit of service, we share tools and skills with people that may not have had access to them otherwise. When we remove expectations or attachment to financial or personal benefits, our true passion for what we love to do flows out of us! I was honored to donate my time to Oak Ridge High School in order to share my passion for teaching yoga and connecting community.
- PRESENCE is a super power. When we are able to come out of our head and into the moment at hand, we give ourselves the ability to find untapped potential. When we are stuck in thought, we can get stuck in our default patterns of being. When we are in the moment, we are working from RIGHT NOW and connections just happen. I can easily worry about “what could go wrong” when anticipating working with a group or in a space that I am unfamiliar with. Through the practice of Baptiste Yoga I have learned that all I have to do is let go of sticking to a plan and be present with the people that are with me right now.
- TRUST the process. Incorporate integrity, consistency, service and presence into your awareness and do the work to keep them present. Beyond that, trust that what you are delivering, sharing, saying is authentic to YOU and that it matters. If something doesn’t work out the way you planned, trust that everything happens for a reason!
Thank you Oak Ridge High School for having me! I also want to thank Chantell Trumbull for volunteering to be my assistant…it made such a huge difference to have your support and share this with you!
- Short notice
- It will cost money I wasn’t planning to spend
- I have too much going on a work
- I’d be away from my family (and on my Birthday)
- My husband is traveling for work, who will care for the kids?
TEACHER FEATURE: Eugene Shim
Some may call him “Shimmy” or, on rare occasion, “Johnny Vegas” but if you’re looking on the SDY class schedule you know him as…Eugene Shim. He is originally from San Francisco but currently lives in El Dorado Hills with his wife Vanessa, two kids, Zach & Olivia, plus two dogs, Angel & Ginger, to complete their lineup. Eugene’s favorite hobbies include sharing his love of yoga through teaching and attending comic conventions with his family. He has worked in law enforcement for the past 20 years, currently assigned as a detective with the Sacramento Police Department, and even started a yoga program for Sacramento Police and Fire employees. Eugene loves putting costumes together for his whole family so that they can “geek out” at various sci-fi and pop culture gatherings. He also enjoys the challenges of repairing broken electronic devices, making home improvements, and believes that coffee is the most important meal of the day.
Yoga has brought Eugene to a higher level of self-awareness. It allows him to feel more of what’s going on in his body and he feels more mentally focused on and off the mat. Yoga also compliments his running and CrossFit because of increased breath control, mental focus and body alignment/integrity. Like many SDY members, Eugene juggles hectic work and home responsibilities. His yoga practice helps bring balance and sanity to his life. To stay consistent, he simply makes the time for his practice and does his best to commit to the classes that work for him. Most often, you’ll find Eugene practicing at Spotted Dog Yoga during afternoon classes that coincide with “I PLAY YOGA” classes. He loves that his whole family can practice at the same time!
Going through the SDY Teacher Empowerment Program has transformed the way Eugene practices and teaches. His favorite thing about teaching yoga is watching a student have a breakthrough in a pose or throughout a practice. Seeing these shifts in others inspires and motivates him to present opportunities for people to make discoveries through his teaching.
Eugene loves the SDY community, particularly our positive vibe and ability to connect with each other. He encourages everyone to spread the word about the work we do here at Spotted Dog Yoga so that the growth of our community continues! Every new person adds to the vibrancy of our space!
We are so grateful that Eugene, and his family, are such an integral part of SDY! He inspires us to continue to do the work so that we may all inspire others to do the same.