Hot and sweaty. This might not be how I want to feel in my normal life, but it’s part of what I love at Spotted Dog Yoga.
The heat and humidity in the Power Yoga Basics and Power Yoga All classes does all sorts of great things for your body. It promotes circulation and removes toxins. I believe it makes your skin look better too, but I don’t have evidence to support this claim.
It can take some time to get used to the heat, though. So if you’re new to hot yoga or if you’re someone who works outside or does endurance sports in addition to yoga (props to endurance sports people), you might need more than just water to stay healthy and happy.
Here are some ways we stay hydrated to feel great before, during, and after yoga.
- Drink water. Not to state the obvious, but if you’re sweating a lot, you need to be drinking a lot. Right? Right. (Grab a SDY Hydroflask water bottle today!)
- Pay attention to your body. If you feel lightheaded or extremely depleted during or after class, you probably need to replace not only fluid, but also the minerals and electrolytes that have been sweated out.
- Replace minerals. To replace potassium, sodium, and electrolytes, consider adding electrolyte replacement powder (SDY will start carrying Ultima soon!) or tablets to your water.
- Drink coconut water. Unlike other beverages on the market, coconut water contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the human body, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium. (Bel Air has some excellent choices. Our favorites are Harmless Harvest and C2O.)
- Add salt mindfully. We’re not doctors, and you should always follow your doctor’s advice in matters of health. But we find that adding a little salt in our diets is a good thing to balance out our yoga practice.
- Start slow! Be sure to check out all of the different types of classes that Spotted Dog Yoga has available. Power Yoga Soft is heated very lightly and Restorative Yoga is NOT heated at all. These are great options for you if your body is just not liking the heat and humidity of the other classes. These classes will also prepare you properly for the heated room!